Monday, November 13, 2006

things that are important in a home ... in my opinion, of course

- kitchen table.

For me, this runs deeper than just a table. So many of my childhood memories revolve around the kitchen table. It is where I did my schoolwork, wasted hours with my sisters chatting over icecream and popcorn. It is where my family ate food and talked, laughed and fought. When I was reall little, I used to stratch the finish off of the kitchen chairs. :) Even now, when I have to get stuff done, I go to the table. When I sit there, I have to concentrate. It is in the center of household activity and, if I am going to accomplish anything, I have to think very hard about it. I am *so* productive. I can't fall asleep, but I can take small breaks and chat with people as they walk by to get a drink or a snack. I really love the centrality of it -- every home needs a space of common experience.

- natural light.

Waking up and seeing the sun makes me smile. It helps motivate me not stay in bed all day and I enjoy drinking coffee and watching the sun go about its normal routine. As I work during the day, being able to stop for a moment by the window and see the world outside helps keep a better perspective on what is going on inside -- watching the seasons change helps keep a better perspective on life!


- comfortable common areas.

This can include comfy couches and chairs, or just a room that is inviting. I love feeling welcomed and beconed to enjoy time, not only with those around, but also in the environment itself. A home should be a place of breathing, resting, loving and laughing.

3 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget a comfy bed, babe. mmm-hmmm.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Megumi said...

I liked what you wrote about kitchen table. It's very much associated with my family for me as well.

I don't normally have one, but now that I think of it we kind of made a make sift kitchen table out of a card table and placed it in the middle of my apartment while I had my parents over this summer.

With my parents the kitchen table went, too :-(

I miss them...

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger strunny said...

like the definition of what home should be... just dropped by to say hi :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home